How much does it cost for a tattoo at Golden Iron?
- When it comes to tattoos, you get what you pay for. All artists price their pieces themselves based on the size, detail and complexity of the tattoo design you have chosen. This may be charged at an hourly rate or a flat rate. Each individual artist has their own hourly cost. It is best to book an in-studio consultation with one of Golden Iron’s artists to get a better idea on pricing. This will give the artist the ability to discuss your tattoo needs, ideas and design options to give you a better estimate of cost for your tattoo. There is also the option of price quoting via email for smaller, less complex pieces. To do this you will need to send in any reference images you may have, let us know the sizing and details of your piece as well as the placement and artist you had in mind to work with. If you have monetary restrictions for your tattoo, please let us know ahead of time to allow the artist to simplify the concept and design to match your budget. Please do not haggle pricing with the artists.
Do I need to book an appointment for a tattoo?
- Appointments are best to assure a guaranteed spot for your tattoo. We do however offer walk-in tattoos for smaller pieces that don’t need much design prep ahead of time. We are open seven days a week. Walk-ins are taken on a first come first serve basis, and may require some wait time if there are no artists available at the time of check in. You can always call in to check availability prior to coming in. Not all artists offer walk-in tattoos however and may be booked out for a few months at a time. If you have specific dates in mind for your tattoo it is always best to check in a few months prior to ensure an opening on the dates requested.
Are walk-ins welcome?
- Yes, walk-ins are welcome and will be addressed on a first come first serve basis, based on artist availability and style. We are open seven days a week from 12 PM to 7 PM November-March ,12PM to 8PM April-October and have artists available for walk in appointments during business hours. Not all pieces are able to be done as walk-in tattoos.
What is considered a walk-in tattoo?
- A walk in tattoo varies in size and design depending on the artist.
- Some artists require more prep time for custom artwork and would like to have a consultation before commencing the designing process. Smaller pieces are usually able to be done as walk-ins, i.e. small logos, script pieces , micro florals etc.
- Tattoos ranging in size up to 4- 5 inches may also have the chance of being done as walk-ins but vary pending each case and design.
What is a consultation appointment?
- A consultation appointment, is an appointment booked with one of Golden Iron’s artists where you will get to meet with your assigned artist to review the details of your design. At this time the artist will go over the nature and possibilities of your request and will be able to work with you to create the best possible outcome for your tattoo design. Keep in mind that not all ideas and designs are suitable for a tattoo, trust your artists opinion to achieve the best possible tattoo.
- We do NOT charge for consultation, however a deposit may be required at the artists’ discretion. This may range from $100-$500 and will be taken out of the final amount of your tattoo on the date of your appointment. This is to get your design started and/or to get your date secured.
- We request you bring in any reference materials for your artist to review during the consultation appointment. This may be in the form of hard copy images, screenshots, artwork and personal drawings.
Do I have to leave a deposit to book an appointment?
- Yes, most artists require a deposit to book an appointment. This goes towards either starting a design or securing a date. In order to schedule an appointment we require clients to leave a minimum of $100 when setting up an appointment for custom pieces or larger scale tattoos. The deposit then goes towards the final price of your tattoo. If the tattoo requires more than one session, your deposit will be deducted from the final session. If you decide the design is not to your liking after consultation and choose to not get tattooed at Golden Iron Tattoo Studio, the deposit will be then considered a drawing fee and will cover the cost of time spent creating your design.
- If you need to reschedule your tattoo appointment, 48 hours notice must be given or your deposit will be forfeited.
- All deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable between artists.
Is there a shop minimum?
- The shop minimum is $100 plus tax.
- Prices go up pending on the size, detail and complexity of your piece.
How old do I have to be to get tattooed?
- You must be the minimum of 18 years of age to get tattooed on your own without parental consent.
- You must be minimum 16 years of age to get tattooed with parental consent. Your legal guardian or parent must be present throughout the entire tattoo process and must present valid photo identification and sign on your behalf.
- Golden Iron Tattoo Studio requires all clients to present proper identification upon request to get a tattoo. Valid proof of age must be presented either with a driver’s license, passport, health card or BYID card.
Can I get tattooed if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
- We do not recommend getting tattooed if breastfeeding and do not tattoo pregnant persons. If you have any further questions we recommend speaking to your doctor prior to booking an appointment.
How do I book an appointment with a specific artist?
What do I need to do if I am looking to cancel an appointment?
- In order to cancel or reschedule an appointment you must call or email the shop/artist and ensure at least 48 hours notice before your scheduled appointment time.
- Cancellations and rescheduling of appointments made inside of the 48 hour notification period will result in the loss of your deposit.
- If you are looking to reschedule your appointment after having lost your original deposit, an additional fee will be required.
- All deposits are non-refundable.
- Golden Iron Tattoo Studio is not responsible for any deposit returns, you must directly contact your artist.
Is it ok to get tattooed if I am feeling under the weather?
- Getting a tattoo when you’re immune system is not functioning at 100% is not the best of ideas. You’re going to need strength and optimum health to heal your tattoo, something your body will not be able to do if it is already battling against a virus.
- It is also not suggested to risk passing the germ onto other clients or artists. If you are feeling sick please feel free to reschedule for when you are feeling better.
Do tattoos hurt?
- Yes tattoos hurt. Although pain is relative and everyone has a different tolerance. The process of receiving a tattoo can cause minor discomfort; it has been compared to a hot scratching feeling. Ultimately, the process of receiving a tattoo, and the minimal pain that goes with it is short term and worth the outcome.
- We suggest doing the following to help you stay comfortable during your tattoo process:
- Get a good night’s sleep before the day of your appointment.
- Eat a healthy breakfast or lunch before coming in for your appointment.
- Try avoiding intoxication the day before and definitely the day of your tattoo.
- Bring some snacks and drinks to stay hydrated.
- Wear something comfortable that will allow your artist easy access to the area being tattooed as well as comfortable for you during your sitting.
- Trust your artist and try not to be too nervous.
- Relax as much as you can; listen to some music, read a book, or just close your eyes and let your artist work with minor distractions.
Can I bring a friend to accompany me during my appointment?
- Yes you may bring a friend into the tattoo workspace with you.
- We are an open concept studio; to avoid distracting other artists and to maintain an accessible, uncompromised workspace for our staff and other customers, please do not bring a large entourage with you for your tattoo appointment.
- All staff members of Golden Iron Tattoo Studio reserve the right to remove anyone from the studio at any time at their discretion.
- Children are not permitted into the tattoo workspace area.
Can I use numbing cream for my tattoo?
- Most numbing creams that are available to the general public result in short term numbing and/or are topical creams that are not meant to be applied to open skin, cuts or abrasions. However if numbing cream makes you feel more comfortable before getting a tattoo make sure to follow the directions properly to avoid misuse.
What tattoo design should I get and where should I place it?
- Design and placement of your tattoo is a matter of personal taste. Artists at Golden Iron will give you options and opinions on aesthetic in regards to both placement and design; ultimately what you want and where you want to put it is up to you.
- Some things to consider before getting a tattoo:
- Is the design appropriate?
- Will it leave a negative impact on your job/work/family life?
- Will it hinder future prospective employment opportunities?
- Keep in mind that although the coffee shop down the street doesn’t mind if you have visible tattoos, the office job/career you had in mind may frown upon your visible ink. However unfair, these are the truths to consider. Think before you ink.
Can I bring my own design/ Do you provide design services?
- At Golden Iron we offer custom designs and artwork for your tattoo. Bringing in your own design idea is a great option but you have to keep in mind that it must be suitable to be tattooed and/or must be converted into a design that is possible on skin.
- Not all drawings or images are suitable to be tattooed. Booking a consultation with an artist at Golden Iron will give you the opportunity to have a professional go over your design and determine what will and will not work.
Is there anything you will not tattoo?
- All artists at Golden Iron Tattoo Studio reserve the right to refuse work on anything they deem blatantly hateful, racist, obscene, sits above the collar, below the wrists, near the genitals, or on any other area on the body that may cause the artist discomfort.
- All artists also reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason including poor attitude, disrespectfulness and/or any inappropriate behavior. This applies both to the client and the company they bring along with them.
What should I do to heal my tattoo?
- Tattoos take between 7 to 15 days to go through the initial healing process. It can take up to two full months for your skin and hair to grow back to normal.
- Following the aftercare instructions given to you by your artist is very important during this time. Your artist will give you aftercare instructions at the end of your tattoo appointment and will review the instructions with you before leaving the studio to ensure full understanding on how to care for your tattoo.
- These instructions are as important as the application of the tattoo itself and directly affect how your tattoo will turn out.
- Scabbing, flaking, peeling, dryness or itching are all part of the healing process. Severe scabs that are deep and thick may indicate a need to change your aftercare routine and should be addressed with your tattoo artist. Feel free to ask any questions during your appointment, via telephone or email after your appointment if there is any confusion on how to care for your tattoo.
Do you do free touch ups?
- Artists at Golden Iron Tattoo Studio offer one free complementary touch up on work originally tattooed by them within three months of receiving their tattoo.
- Tattoos exempted from a free touch up include; hands, feet, fingers, necks and any case involving individuals who had a blatant disregard for the aftercare given to them.
- Exemption of a free touch up will also include anyone who no-shows a scheduled touch up appointment, disregarding the importance of the artist’s time.
- Following the three-month grace period, artists charge for touch ups at their discretion.
- Some artists offer touch ups (at cost) on tattoos not done by them or the studio. This will be treated as a brand new tattoo and will not be the minimum cost of a touch up.
Is my tattoo permanent? Do you offer tattoo removal?
- Yes all tattoos done at Golden Iron are permanent. You cannot rub or wash them off. If you would like your tattoo removed, you will need to find a laser removal clinic.
Will my tattoo fade/ age/ lighten?
- All tattoos fade and lighten over time. Proper long term after care aids in prolonging the freshness of your piece.
Do you offer cover-ups/ reworks of old tattoos?
- Not all artists offer cover-ups or reworks, we do however have a wide array of artists who do offer them.
- If you have a specific artist in mind we would suggest emailing in a photo of what you were looking to cover as well as any references of what you were looking to cover it with. From there we would be able to let you know if your chosen artist would be able to do the piece for you or if we need suggest another person for the work.
- A cover-up will always have to be significantly larger than the original tattoo; so keep that in mind when picking out references.
- Not all images are able to be covered and may need to be designed going in another direction than what you originally had in mind. Being flexible always works best when it comes to cover-ups.
- Some cover-ups may require multiple sessions to fully cover the original tattoo.
Do you offer scar cover-ups/tattoos over stretch marks?
- It does however depend on the severity and maturity of your scar. This is judged on a case by case basis. In general a scar should be at least one or two years old and no longer be a reddish/pinkish color.
- If you were looking to have a scar cover up please send in a photo of the scar as well as what you were looking to cover it up with so we can book you in for a consultation to better assist you.
- Scar cover-ups are accepted at the discretion of the artist.
Am I allowed to tan?
- Tanning can damage/fade your tattoo.
- It is not suggested to tan before or after your tattoo appointment.
- Once a tattoo is fully healed it is suggested to use SPF 30+ sunscreen.
- Keeping your tattoo out of the sun is important part of the healing process.
- If you are planning a vacation before or after your tattoo appointment; make sure the allotted time is respected to assure the best results for your tattoo.
Do you offer white tattoos?
- All white tattoos are accepted on a case-by-case basis. The reason for this being that all white tattoos do not necessarily heal white.
- White tattoos run the risk of not showing up at all and/or yellowing overtime. Some white tattoos end up looking like scarification.
- White tattoos will be accepted at the discretion of the artist.
Do you offer piercings?
- Golden Iron only offers tattooing services.
Do you offer face tattoos?
- Face tattoos can be life altering. So most of our artists do not offer them.
- Some cases are however accepted; for example if you are already heavily tattooed (I.e face and hands).
- Face tattoos are done at the artists’ discretion.
Do you offer ultraviolet/black light tattoos?
- We do not offer ultraviolet/black light tattoos.
Do you offer inner lip tattoos?
- We do not offer inner lip tattoos, as they tend to bleed out or significantly fade.
Do you offer temporary tattoos/henna tattoos?
- All tattoos done at Golden Iron are permanent and done with tattoo ink and needles.
Will hair grow back over my tattoo once it has healed?
- Yes, your skin will go back the same state as before the tattoo once it has fully healed. If you tattoo an area that has lots of body hair make sure the design is not too small as it may obscure the tattoo image.
Can I shave/wax the area of my new tattoo?
- It is best to wait until your tattoo has fully healed before shaving/waxing the area.
- Shaving/waxing over scabbing, flaking, peeling and or dry skin can be dangerous and detrimental to the healing of your tattoo.
Can I get a discount if I bring friends to get tattooed with me?
- Each client will be charged separately as a single customer. If you have a larger group of friends (five or more) and are getting tattooed by the same artist, you can speak to them about pricing.
- Each tattoo requires a separate set up and a new set of materials used and will be charged accordingly.
If I pay cash will I be able to skip out on taxes?
- Unfortunately taxes will have to be added to amount of your tattoo; the method of payment will not change the final price of your tattoo.
If I am not satisfied with a tattoo can I get my money back?
- If you are not satisfied with your tattoo you will have to speak with a manager to assess your case.
- Golden Iron is not responsible for the dislike of your new ink unless there is a visible problem with it. For example: Misspelled word or the design not matching with what you had requested.
- If your artist has made a mistake, Golden Iron will find the best solution to accommodate you and make sure you leave happy. Your satisfaction is our guarantee and is always our main concern.
- Refunds are given out on a case by case basis.
- Tattoo removal is still a painful, expensive and imperfect process. It is best to circumvent the need for tattoo removal by choosing your artist and design wisely and then taking care of it diligently. Remember, a little extra time planning will save from something regretful. You want to be sure you are getting a tattoo that you will be happy with for the rest of your life. If even with the best of planning and intentions the end result is still not perfect come back to the studio to discuss your options.
How can I know if I am allergic to anything tattoo related?
- Golden Iron cannot guarantee not having an allergic reaction to the tattoo ink and/or materials used during your tattoo.
- Patch tests are available but may not be suitable pending on the allergy.
- Checking with your doctor before coming in would be suggested if you are known to having allergic reactions.
- Some clients show allergic reactions to coloured ink and/or black ink; asking the artist the brands of inks being used to check ingredients before coming in would also be suggested.
Should I shave before coming in for my tattoo?
- You can shave the area that will be getting tattooed; however Golden Iron provides razors and your artist will prepare the area before working on it for you.
Do people pass out/ Faint during their tattoo?
- Yes, it is more common than you may think. People tend to pass out because of nerves, not having eaten, low blood sugar, or heat.
- Golden Iron does its best to assure your comfort and safety and have trained staff that will know what to do if you have fainted.
- Most clients who faint end up finishing their tattoo. However, you are not pressured to do so if you do not feel comfortable continuing, we can reschedule or cancel your appointment. It will be left at your discretion unless the artist feels you should not continue.
Is Golden Iron wheelchair accessible?
- Golden Iron Downtown does offer tattoos to people in wheelchairs. We do however have to lift the chair over a few steps to get you to the tattoo area.
- Golden Iron North York is wheelchair accessible.
Do you guys offer payment plans?
- It would depend on your tattoo artist. Multisession tattoos may be priced by sitting or must be paid in full. This is at the artists’ discretion however.
- Smaller tattoos finished in one session must be paid in full at the time of the appointment.
Do you have parking around the shop?
- Both Golden Iron North York and Downtown have parking around the area. They are however paid parking.
- There are also many forms of public transportation including the TTC that stop in front of the studios and is easily accessible.
Can I go to the gym after I get a new tattoo?
- Yes you can go to the gym. But make sure there is not too much friction or contact with your new tattoo and the gym equipment.
- Make sure that after your gym session you keep the tattoo area clean and dry for it to heal at its best ability.
Can I use the sauna or steam room after getting a new tattoo?
- We do not suggest steaming or going in a sauna after receiving a new tattoo. Try to abstain until your piece has fully healed.
Can I get a massage after getting a new tattoo?
- It is not suggested to have anyone rub or touch the tattooed area. Please abstain until your tattoo has fully healed.
Can I go swimming after getting a new tattoo?
- You should not be swimming or sitting in any body of water. Make sure your tattoo is not submerged under water until it has fully healed.
Can I take a shower after getting a new tattoo?
- Taking a shower is totally fine; however try not to get the area covered in soap or submerg it underwater for long periods of time. Baths are not suggested.
Are there any product you would recommend to aid in healing my tattoo?
- We offer tattoo after care products but also recommend any non-scented lotions and soaps or coconut oil to aid in the healing of your tattoo.
How will I know if my tattoo has fully healed?
- Your tattoo will no longer be dry, itchy, shiny or peeling. Your tattoo will feel as one with your skin and you will instinctively know that you have undergone the entire healing process.
- If you are looking to go swimming, visit a steam room Etc. please feel free to send in a photo of your tattoo or walk in for an artist to give you the go ahead that your piece has fully healed if you feel unsure.
When is it not a good idea to get tattooed?
- You should not get tattooed when you are:
- When you don’t know what you want
- When you can’t afford it
- When you’re sunburned
- When you haven’t showered
- When you have your kids with you
- If you don’t have an ID
- Being pressured into it
Do I have to tip?
- You are not required to tip but it is always appreciated. If you are happy with your artists’ work and your new tattoo a tip is always welcomed.
Do you guys run specials at the shop like flash days?
- Yes Golden Iron offers flash days and discounted rates on want-to-do pieces.
- Each case is pending on the artist and what offers they have available at the time. Check out the artists’ pages you like on Instagram to keep up with what deals and flash pieces they may be offering.
What happens if I am late or no-show to my appointment?
- Please ensure that you do not no-show for an appointment; give the artist the proper notice if you need to cancel.
- If you know you are going to be late please notify your artist to ensure they will still be able to get you in as there may be appointments scheduled after you. If you are more than 20 minutes late; the artist reserves the right to reschedule your appointment.
How long have your artists been tattooing?
- A portfolio, not longevity, is the best way judge an artist’s talent and suitability for your tattoo. Take a thorough look at photographs of work that the artists have accomplished.
- Feel free to ask our counter staff or artists any questions you may have. They will be happy to lead you in the right direction.
How big does my tattoo have to be?
- The size depends on the complexity of your image/text and the area of the body where the tattoo is being placed.
- We will gladly consult with you to determine the best way to meet your needs and get a tattoo that will age well.
What if my tattoo is infected?
- More often than not, what you perceive as an infection is actually an irritation.
- Allergic reactions or infections are extremely rare.
- If you think there is an issue, speak with your artist. If there is an actual infection, a physician will help you get healthy and Golden Iron will reimburse your money.
Is it safe to get tattooed at Golden Iron?
- Golden Iron Tattoo Studio is a licensed tattoo studio in compliance with the Public Service Setting Program (PSS) under the City of Toronto Municipal Licensing & Standards; Municipal Code Chapter 545.
- Golden Iron Tattoo Studio is regularly inspected by Toronto Public Health (TPH) and is in compliance with their standards for sterilization and cleanliness procedures for the application of tattoos, as part of the City of Toronto Body Safe Program.
- All of our tattoo needles are single use pre-sterilized and packaged items and are disposed of immediately after each procedure in a certified sharps container. Absolutely no needles are reused.
- Our tattoo artists use completely disposable single use, pre-sterilized and packaged tattoo tubes, minimizing the risks of using improperly sterilized tools. Absolutely no tubes are reused.
- All work surfaces and non-critical items such as wash bottles, machines, chairs/beds, lamps and wires used during the tattoo procedure are protected using single use plastic barriers, and are disposed of after each procedure. Absolutely no barriers are reused.
- Golden Iron Tattoo Studio uses single use non-latex disposable nitrile gloves. Absolutely no gloves are reused.
- All of our artists at Golden Iron Tattoo Studio are trained in proper setup and cleanup of their workstations, inclusive of cross contamination/prevention, and maintenance of approved hygienic conditions.
- For further inquiries in regards to our facilities and procedures at the studio please contact us directly.
Do you you offer apprenticeships?
- Yes! Please send over a link to your website, online portfolio, and/or social media for us to check out your work.
- If we feel you are a right fir; we will ask you to come in for an interview.
- Please email email@example.com all applications.